Thursday 20 June 2013

Tuomarniemi

The moss is growing on most conifers
I live in a most amazing place in Ähtäri: in a botanical garden :) No, really. Almost every tree there has an info stand about the tree species. My home in Tartu, Estonia, was right across the street of the Botanical Garden of Tartu University, now in Ähtäri I'm actually living IN a botanical garden :) Well, Tuomarniemi is a SeAMK campus and the guys here study forestry. That explains the tree signs everywhere.

I live in a student apartment house with a view on the lake Hankavesi. The apartments are free for the summer as students fly back to where ever they come here for their studies, so therefore, I could get a nice studio apartment in Tuomarniemi, the botanical garden :) 

I have a studio apartment here
The area has a perfect location, as it's located right on half way from the town centre to the Ähtäri Resort (zoo, golf, hotel and holiday cottages). So I get a good workout when I need to go grocery shopping in the centre or go the Zoo or FamilyGolf. The zoo and the golf club are on the other side of the lake. If I could I would paddle across the lake instead of cycling around it :)

Ähtäri is located in the lake area of Finland, so no wonder they have water everywhere here. Many lakes here are connected with one another by canals, so you can go great distances from one lake to another.

Tuomarniemi is an old settlement, as you can find many old buildings dating back to the beginning of 1900-s. These buildings are one of the oldest buildings in Ähtäri. The name Tuomarniemi basically means "Judge's Peninsula". The road names here really fit the theme: Maitotie (Milk Road, which almost sounds like Milkyway), Metsurintie (Logger Road), Laamannintie (Judge Road, it's an old word for judge in Finnish), Metsänvartijantie (Forest Ranger Road), Käpyriihentie (Cone Barn Road). I'm still puzzled about the judge part here, all the rest of the names make perfect sense, though.



Maybe one day someone tells me why the place is called Tuomarniemi and why they have a Judge Road there. The building above looks like a former court house :)




No comments:

Post a Comment