Saturday 15 June 2013

Back to Ähtäri

It was Elina Viitanen's casually spilt a comment that we could do our summer work placement in Ähtäri, that triggered me to ask for more information. And here I am, back in Ähtäri! I'm working for and with several accommodation and experience companies in Ähtäri like FamilyGolf Par3X, Ähtäri Zoo, Valkeisen Loma and Hyvölän Talo. I will be doing the basic customer service but also contribute to marketing and service concept development -- anything that would help them deliver their service effectively (and efficiently). I'm not going to describe here what my tasks were or give an overview of my daily duties during my stay in Ähtäri, but rather share with you what makes Ähtäri such a special place that amazed and drew me here.

PEOPLE = kind and warm-hearted

They say the more north you move the friendlier the people. I'm just 325 km away from Helsinki. I wonder what kind of people live in Sodankylä then (that is 1000 km north of Helsinki)? I haven't been to Lapland yet. I have to go there one day.

PLACE = the land of fairy-tale lakes and forests

On my way to work
I have to say right here that I live by the Hankavesi lake and I ride a bike to work every day round the lake to the other side of the lake (10km/day). I would paddle to the other side of the lake if they just gave me a kayak :) I love kayaking. At least it doesn't hurt your back side as much as sitting on a bike. I miss my own bike back at home! Maybe I should look into a possibility to use a kayak to get to work...

TOURISM = zoo, golf, spa, cottages, sauna, water sports, reindeers, home-made food, ice-swimming and snowmobile-rides in winter, fishing and ATV-rides in summer

Ähtäri resort is attracting more and more tourists every year. The town and many tourism entrepreneurs are working together to offer their customers the best service packages for the better experience of the place. Right now the town is pretty unknown as a tourism destination, although there is a lot of potential. If you visit www.visitfinland.com page then you can't find anything written about Ähtäri. The Finnish Tourist Board hasn't discovered the "Little Lapland yet" :) The three tourism themes developed by the tourist board are:
  • Silence, please
  • Wild and free
  • Cultural beat
I'd say you can find all three in Ähtäri: you can enjoy a peaceful holiday in a rent cottage in the middle of the forest by the lake, lots of nature activities (snowmobiles, ATV-s, boats, reindeer sled safaris, fishing, etc), local musicians and singers. So why on earth can't I find any articles or links to Ähtäri on their page then?
Hankavesi lake


No comments:

Post a Comment